Immerse yourself into the spectacular scenery of the Smith River with Phil’s Smiling Salmon Guide Service. One of California’s most plentiful rivers is a perfect place for your next fishing trip. Your guide, Phil Desautels, has been fishing the area for over 35 years. Each trip down the Smith River is just as special as the first one.
To make the most of this beautiful river, you don’t need a fast boat. The best way to catch fish is to slowly drift downriver, on a quiet, 18’ Willy drift boat. The captain will prepare everything you need for fishing, including rods and tackle for spinning, drifting, and fly fishing. He can also bring a cooler, just notify him in advance.
The Smith River has the largest Steelhead in California, with fish over 20 pounds caught every year. You’ll also find giant King Salmon with a few over 50 pounds being caught each season. Phil will show you the best techniques to catch them. This is the right time to get the hang of a new technique or teach your kids the fishing basics. It’s never too early to get them to love the outdoors!
Your fishing equipment is fully covered by the captain and you can keep the catch within regulations. Phil will also clean and fillet your catch, so you’ll have a tasty dinner to look forward to after the trip.
Phil’s Smiling Salmon Guide Service will help you tangle lines with some seriously huge Steelhead and Chinook (King) Salmon! These trips are available year round, so join anytime.
You Keep Catch
Catch cleaning & filleting
Rods, reels & tackle
About the Captain
About this listing
WILLY BOATS (Drift boat) originally built in 1994, and restored in 2018. Powered by a 1HP Two Stroke Armstrong engine.
Types of Fishing
Customers can cancel or modify their booking up to 7 days before the trip date free of charge. If the trip is canceled or modified later, or in the event of a no-show, 100% of the deposit will be charged.
Smith River Fishing Calendar
FAQs about Phil's Smiling Salmon Guide Service
- $225 per person - Full Day Trip - Salmon (8 hours)
- $225 per person - Full Day Trip - Steelhead (8 hours)
- Fighting Chair (Yes but usually not needed)
- Ice Box (An Ice Chest can be Provided with Notification)
- Rods, reels & tackle
- Catch cleaning & filleting (We will Clean or Fellet you catch.)
- River Fishing (We Are Drift Fishing in the Redwoods.)
- Light Tackle (We are tackling big Fish on Light Gear )
- Spinning (Casting Light Rods for Steelhead )
- Jigging (Back Bouncing for Big King Salmon )
- Fly Fishing (I am Scott Rods and Ross Reels Equipped)
- Drift Fishing (Light Spinning Rods Drifting Bait for Steelhead )
- Rainbow Trout (Steelhead)
- Salmon (Chinook)