San Pedro Fly Fishing Charters
100% Weather ProtectionCanceled due to bad weather?
We'll help reschedule or refund.
Instant ConfirmationNo more back and forth.
Secure your booking in just one step.
Best Price GuaranteeFound the same trip for less?
We'll refund the difference!
Top Fly Fishing Charters in San Pedro
Fly Fishing in San Pedro
Some go to San Pedro for its breathtaking sandy beaches, some for world-class snorkeling, but passionate anglers flock there for a variety of exciting game fishing opportunities. If you're looking for some unforgettable fly fishing, San Pedro, Belize is the place for you! Until the 1970s, the flats of Ambergris Caye were one of the best-kept secrets of the Caribbean, and now you have the chance to discover everything that these prolific waters have to offer on your own. Just grab your favorite fly rod and get ready for an adventure you'll remember for years to come!
What to Catch
“Slam Pedro” waters will be a true delight for all hardcore fly fishermen.The Ambergris Caye flats are known as the home of the Grand Slam – Tarpon, Bonefish, and Permit. Tarpon – the Silver Kings, the prehistoric Goliaths, the high flyers of the flats – are famous for putting up a great fight. Permit are known as the most elusive species when it comes to fly fishing – they've been called "the saltwater Holy Grail." Even though Bones are probably the easiest to land on a fly, you can always find a challenge by focusing on the biggest singles swimming in the flats. Barracuda are also possible to catch on fly rod, even though this will be more of a challenge.
Where to Go
It usually takes less than 30 minutes by boat to reach the majestic, extensive flats of the Ambergris Caye from any given San Pedro fly fishing resort. These 2–6’ shallows with whiter than white sandy floors stretch over 50 miles, and are a favorite dining spot of enormous schools of Tarpon and other bucket-list species. Permit can also be found on these flats, as well as in the sheltered lagoons and coves that provide excellent fishing even when strong winds take over. These protected areas are home to Bones, too. Apart from the waters near San Pedro, your fly fishing guide might also take you exploring Cangrejo, Savannah, and Long Caye, along with many other unnamed cayes.
How to Fish
- Thanks to the low fishing pressure in the area and the vastness of these flats, local Tarpon became fearless and hungry for almost any kind of well-crafted fly. Your weapon of choice will be a 10–12 wt fly rod with intermediate sink tip lines, floating tapers, and 40–80 lb fluorocarbon leaders. And what about flies? You'll be going for the Red/White Tarpon, Grizzly Orange Tarpon, Black Death, Tarpon Toad, or Cockroach flies, sizes 1–3.
- Permit are well-known for testing fly anglers' skills, patience, and wit. Catching these famously picky and spooky fish on the fly will be the biggest Grand Slam challenge. But no worries if you come armed with 9–10 wt rods with floating saltwater tropical shooting lines and a 20–30 lb fluorocarbon leader. Use size 2–4 weighted Raghead Crab, Avalon Permit, Merkin Crab, and EP Spawning Shrimp flies. Make sure that your cast is long and accurate, fly dropped where the fish can easily spot it, and get ready for a battle of the lifetime.
- Fly fishing for Bones is more than angling – it's hunting! Wait until you spot them, and then long cast the fly accurately – slightly ahead or to the side. Placing the fly on top or under the fish is a huge no-no. When it comes to the tackle, your best choices are 7–8 wt rods with floating saltwater taper lines and fluorocarbon leaders. Flies should be lightly weighted or unweighted, sizes 2, 4, 6, or 8. Go for Crazy Charlie’s, Bonefish Bitters, Puglisi Spawning Shrimp, Puff Shrimp, Gotchas, or Crab flies.
- Fly fishing for Barracuda in these waters can be a real challenge. The recommended method for catching these toothy beasts is casting rapidly in front of them, using trailer hooks and 6–7" fish-hair flies. Bring your favorite fly rod, patience, and expect the unexpected.
When to Go
May–November is the prime season for San Pedro flats fishing, but that doesn't mean other months can't be productive as well. The perfect scenario for Tarpon hunting includes calm weather without winds, so keep in mind that March–May is commonly the dry season in Belize. Even when it's too windy for Tarpon, you can always find shelter and game in protected coves and lagoons, teeming with Permit and Bonefish.
If you're interested in testing your fly fishing skills against other anglers, don't miss the Tres Pescados Slam, held annually in August. This catch-and-release fly fishing tournament lasts three days and will give you the chance of setting a Grand Slam record.
Fly fishing in San Pedro, Belize for these elusive game species will be something to write home about. Many top fly anglers from all over the world return to these waters again and again, and it's time that you discover why on your own.
What People Are Saying About Fly Fishing in San Pedro
Jorgen Bjorkman fished with Nano Guerrero on May 30, 2018
Arrived with fly gear and then after a quick talk Nano started netting sardines and we were off to the flats with spinning gear. Nano was fun to hang out with and great at spotting fish. Small fun boat.
"Half day trip with Carlods"
Tim Bizzaro fished with Freedom Tours - Little Hooker on June 5, 2017
Captain put 2 of us non experienced saltwater fly fisherman on bones. The goal was to catch my first bone on a fly. Did it and more.
Top Targeted Fly Fishing Species in San Pedro
- Size 5 to 15lbs
- Food Value Low
- Game Qualities Average
- Habitats Nearshore, Offshore, Reef, Wreck
- Size 4 to 6lbs
- Food Value None
- Game Qualities Excellent
- Habitats Flats, Backcountry, Inshore
- Size 10 to 30lbs
- Food Value Good
- Game Qualities Excellent
- Habitats Inshore, Nearshore, Reef, Flats, Backcountry
Weather ProtectionCanceled due to bad weather? We'll help reschedule or refund.
Best Price GuaranteeFound the same trip for less? We'll refund the difference!
Service You Can Trust7 day customer support for a hassle-free fishing experience.
Trusted PaymentsBook via our secure platform and enjoy flexible payment options.